The mission of the Latin American Association (LAA) is to empower Latinos to adapt, integrate and thrive. Our vision is ‘Opportunity for All.’
Founded in 1972, the LAA has grown over the past four decades to become the region’s leading agency representing Georgia’s Latino issues. The LAA offers a targeted menu of direct services that helps Latino individuals assimilate and become contributing members of Georgia’s community.
The LAA achieves its mission through five (5) focus areas: Culture & Engagement, Economic Empowerment, Education, Family Well-Being and Immigration. Each focus area includes a targeted menu of direct services, large-scale events and advocacy to realize significant community impact and affect systems level change.
The goal of the Culture & Engagement focus area is to connect and empower community members. The work includes promotion of cultural awareness, activities include cultural and large-scale special events as well as a Hispanic Heritage Month Campaign, a Civic Engagement Program, a Membership Program, Latino Community Needs Assessment and a technology / digital engagement strategy.
- Direct Services: Volunteer and Civic Engagement Programs.
- Annual events: State of Latinos Conference, Compañeros Awards Luncheon, Latin Fever Ball, Immigrant Student Art Contest and Spirit of Giving.
- Advocacy: Civic Engagement.
The goal of the Economic Empowerment focus area is to empower Latinos to achieve economic self-sufficiency. This work includes the Latina Economic Empowerment Program and advocacy to address Latino entrepreneurship and minority-owned business opportunities.
- Direct Services: Latina Economic Empowerment Program, Microloan Program for Latina Entrepreneurs, Adult Education Programs (English, Spanish, Computer) Translations Services and the LAA Online Job Bank.
- Annual events: Career Expo, Latina Empowerment Conference, Corporate Recruitment Events and a Latino Workforce Development Summit.
- Advocacy: Latino Entrepreneurship and Minority-Owned Business Opportunity.
The goal of the Education focus area is to empower Latino youth to achieve educational success.
- Direct Services: Latino Youth Mentoring Program, Latino Youth Leadership Academy and Abriendo Puertas Parenting Program.
- Annual events: La Feria de Educación Latina, Latino Youth Leadership Conference and the Latino Education Summit.
- Advocacy: Education Access for Latinos K-12, in-state tuition for DACA recipients.
The goal of the Family Well-Being focus area is to foster stable, healthy Latino families. Through the direct services of the Latino Basic Needs Program, the LAA empowers low-income Latino individuals and families in need to achieve stability and long-term self-sufficiency.
- Direct Services: Latino Basic Needs Program.
- Annual events: Hispanic Health Expo, Latino Housing Summit and a Latino Health Summit.
- Advocacy: Affordable Housing for Latinos, Healthcare Access and Hunger for Latinos.
The goal of the Immigration focus area is to advance Latino immigrant integration. This work includes direct services to provide general immigration legal services, domestic violence legal services and removal defense legal services; events including “Know Your Rights”, workshops, community forums and citizenship drives; and advocacy to address Comprehensive Immigration Reform and Judicial Reform – Immigration Court Due Process.
- Direct Services: Family-Based Legal Services, Domestic Violence Legal Services and Removal Defense.
- Events: Citizenship Drives and Community Forums.
- Advocacy: Comprehensive Immigration Reform and Judicial Reform – Immigration Court Due Process.