Encourage your colleagues and friends to apply!
Click here to view our shareable flyer.
The LAA’s Latino Youth Leadership Academy offers a mentoring program for 200 middle school and high school students in Dekalb, Gwinnett and Fulton counties who are currently participating in our youth program. College students, civic leaders and professionals are invited to serve as mentors, working with Latino youth to develop leadership skills, answer questions about college, offer career guidance and provide academic and social support.
*NOTE* Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve will be using a combination of virtual and in-person meets between mentors and mentees.
- Mentors must make an eleven-month commitment to meet with their mentees a minimum of two times a month after school or on weekends.
- Mentors and mentees will be matched according to interests and personality traits.
- Mentors must attend a mandatory mentor orientation and a meeting with the family of the mentee.
- Mentors must work closely with the program managers to provide updates and feedback.
- Mentors must maintain communication with mentees and follow through on commitments.
- Mentors must serve as a resource and source of support for the assigned mentees.
*All mentors must undergo a background check prior to being matched.
How to apply
The Youth Department will notify the first cohort of mentors regarding next steps.
For more information, please contact our Youth Department at 404-638-1800
The LAA’s Latino Youth Leadership Academy is recruiting 200 middle school and high school students in DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett, Whitfield, and surrounding counties who want to join our mentoring program. Middle and High School students are invited to be part of the Latino Youth Leadership Academy Mentoring Program. Students will receive a mentor, college advising, career guidance, academic support, and develop leadership skills.
*NOTE* Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the program will be a combination of virtual and in-person meetings between the mentor and the mentee.
• One-on-one mentor
• Access to college advisement
• Exposure to volunteer opportunities
• Career advising
• Academic support
• Interactive soccer activities with “Soccer in the Streets”
• Network opportunities
• Field trips to Colleges and Universities
• Summer programming
• Mentors and mentees will be matched according to interests and personality traits
• Mentors will serve as a resource and source of support for their mentee
This year, the Latino Youth Leadership Academy offers all participating students the opportunity to have a mentor: someone to support you academically and personally as a student. The mentors that we train have attended college or university in the United States, come from very similar backgrounds, and are now thriving in their careers.
Your mentor is interested in providing the valuable support that they benefited from (or wish they had), to ensure that you are confident and ready to take on higher education, professional careers, and leadership roles as an adult.
Please complete an application by clicking the “orange” button above. For more information, please contact Luis Andino at 404.663.2332 or email@example.com.
ENCOURAGE YOUR FRIENDS TO APPLY! CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR FLYER.