The goal of the Immigration focus area is to advance Latino immigrant integration. This work includes direct services to provide general immigration legal services, domestic violence legal services and removal defense legal services; events including “Know Your Rights”, workshops, community forums and citizenship drives; and advocacy to address Comprehensive Immigration Reform and Judicial Reform – Immigration Court Due Process.
Through it’s work, the LAA has:
- Conducted 957 legal consultations to assess eligibility of individuals and families for immigration benefits and legal relief.
- Applied for and received legal protections for 103 immigrant victims of domestic violence.
- Provided legal services for unaccompanied immigrant children on-site at partner organizations across
central and south Georgia, securing legal status for 128 unaccompanied immigrant children.
- Led the New Americans Campaign citizenship initiative and helped 356 Latino immigrants naturalize and
become U.S. citizens.
- Set legal precedent in Immigration Court with a groundbreaking unanimous ruling setting binding precedent that requires all juvenile judges to consider special findings needed for a child to apply for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
- Won 2 appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals that resulted in changing of docketing procedures for cases of unaccompanied immigrant children to ensure fair processing and that each case is heard by one dedicated juvenile judge.
Immigration Legal Services
The LAA has provided immigration legal services since 1999, and is one of only two nonprofit legal services providers in Georgia serving the Latino community. We house a full-service immigration law firm at our Atlanta service center and offer services in Lawrenceville and Athens. We offer affordable legal services to help eligible low-income immigrants and asylum seekers obtain immigration benefits in the U.S. Our legal team consists of:
- 6 full-time attorneys
- 5 paralegals
- DOJ-Accredited Representative
Legal services specializing in (but not limited to):
- Individual and family-based legal services
- Legal services for victims of domestic violence
- Removal defense for adults and unaccompanied children
- Naturalization and citizenship applications
- Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
- Work permits
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
- *We do not accept cases regarding employment-based, student and tourist visas nor offer legal representation of individuals detained by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Domestic Violence Victims
Victims of domestic violence may be eligible for immigration relief. We offer no-cost legal representation for immigrant victims of domestic violence. For assistance call (404) 638-1812.
New Americans Campaign
The New Americans Campaign Atlanta is a collaborative of the following non-profit organizations working together to increase access to naturalization in the Atlanta area. FREE legal advice for individuals who are eligible and seek citizenship. Our partners include:
- Latin American Association
- New American Pathways
- Catholic Charities Atlanta
Naturalization Program (USCIS)
Thanks to a grant awarded to the LAA by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the LAA’s Immigration Legal Services will now offer a FREE Citizenship & English Course for Green Card holders eligible for Naturalization. For more information, visit the Immigration Legal Services tab under our Services section. To view, click here.
Visit one or call the Atlanta or Athens locations to schedule a consultation, Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. All new clients are pre-screened to determine eligibility. Proof of income and $50 USD cash required for initial consultation. Legal services only provided in-person.
Our Immigration Services Department does not accept cases regarding employment-based visas, tourist visas, student visas or legal representation of individuals detained by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
WE SEE CLIENTS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
FREE Events & Clinics
Citizenship Workshops and Clinics in Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
The LAA offers FREE citizenship workshops and clinics for individuals eligible and seeking citizenship.
For details on all upcoming FREE citizenship workshops and clinics, visit the Immigration Legal Services tab under our Services section by clicking here.