The goal of the Immigration focus area is to advance Latino immigrant integration, although we welcome immigrants from all backgrounds. We house a fully functioning Immigration Services office complete with Attorneys, DOJ Partially Accredited Representatives, Paralegals, support staff, and volunteers. We offer general immigration services, immigration relief for victims, and assistance with removal defense.
In addition to providing legal services, our experienced team engages with the community through educational presentations, community forums, and occasional workshops. Please check our Facebook page for upcoming events.
Through its work, the LAA has:
- Conducted more than 1,000 consultations to assess eligibility of individuals and families for immigration benefits and legal relief.
- Applied for and received legal protections for hundreds of victims of domestic violence.
- Provided legal services for unaccompanied immigrant children on-site at partner organizations across central and South Georgia, securing legal status for 128 unaccompanied immigrant children.
- Set legal precedent in Immigration Court with a groundbreaking unanimous ruling setting binding precedent that requires all juvenile judges to consider special findings needed for a child to apply for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
- Won two appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals that resulted in changing of docketing procedures for cases of unaccompanied immigrant children to ensure fair processing and that each case is heard by one dedicated juvenile judge.
The LAA has provided immigration legal services since 1999, and is one of only a few nonprofit legal services providers in Georgia serving the Latino community. We house a full-service immigration law firm at our Atlanta service center with additional limited immigration legal services in Lawrenceville and Dalton. We offer affordable legal services to help eligible, low-income immigrants obtain immigration benefits in the U.S. Our legal team consists of Attorneys, DOJ Partially Accredited Representatives, Paralegals, support staff, and volunteers.
The legal services we provide include (but are not limited to):
- Permanent Residency;
- Assistance with removal or deportation;
- Legal assistance for unaccompanied minors;
- Renewals of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA);
- Victims of crime or violence relief;
- Court motions;
- Asylum; and
Please be aware that we may not always be able to take new cases in all of the areas above and it will vary based on demand and our current caseload.
*We do not accept cases of employment-based, student and tourist visas nor offer legal representation of individuals detained by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Every individual seeking services requires a consultation in order for the LAA to determine eligibility. You can schedule a consultation by calling 404.471.1889 and leaving a message or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; please provide your name, phone number, and type of immigration service you are seeking. Someone from our team will contact you for an initial screening and to schedule the appointment for a consultation. Consultations are made on a first come, first serve basis and do not guarantee further service or legal representation.
WE SEE CLIENTS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
The LAA engages with the community on immigration-based topics through various forms including media interviews, community presentations, forums, announcements, and more. Please refer to our social media pages for upcoming events and information.
Keep up with the LAA’s News and Events
Sign up for email and stay connected to empower Latinos to adapt,
integrate and thrive. Learn about our events, services, programs and much more.