Recent Media Coverage
- June 22, 2017 in WABE: Our director of advocacy, David Schaefer, talks about Immigrant Heritage Month with Closer Look’s Rose Scott.
Closer Look: Immigrant Heritage Month
Listen to Audio (interview starts at 30-minute mark)
- June 22, 2017 in MundoHispánico: The LAA’s youth summer program at Meadowcreek High School offers enrichment activities to 50 Latino students.
Cierre de una experiencia de verano enriquecedora
- June 13, 2017 in the Northside Neighbor: The neighborhood publication helps us get the word out about our Career Expo.
Latin American Association hosts Career Expo
- June 3, 2017 in MundoHispánico: MundoHispánico covers our 4th Annual Health Fair.
Hispanos dan prioridad a su salud
- May 25, 2017 in MundoHispánico: Three students from our Latino Youth Leadership Academy who are graduating high school are interviewed.
Estudiantes hispanos se gradúan tras superar obstáculos
- May 23, 2017 in Creative Loafing: Our advocacy director, David Schaefer, says an end to sanctuary cities will not make everyone safer.
David Perdue fights sanctuary cities
- May 21, 2017 in WSB-TV: People2People promotes our upcoming Career Expo.
Latin American Association holds Career Expo
- May 18, 2017 on WSB-TV: Wendy Corona reports on the success of the LAA’s Latino Youth Leadership Academy, which is seeing some 24 students graduate from high school this year.
Success story: Students who could fall through the cracks are graduating
- May 12, 2017 on Telemundo Atlanta: Reporter and 2nd Annual Latina Empowerment Conference MC Paula Rodríguez talks to some Latina entrepreneurs who attended the conference and interviews keynote speaker Nely Galán.
Avanzando Juntas 2017
- May 11, 2017 in MundoHispánico: The Latina Empowerment Conference attracted hundreds of Latina immigrants.
Mujeres dijeron presente
- April 24, 2017 in the AJC: Legal immigrants, spooked by hostile political climate, are dropping food stamps and other benefits.
Wary immigrants in Georgia drop food stamps
- April 2017 in MundoHispánico: Georgia’s premier Spanish-language newspaper covers the annual Compañeros Awards Luncheon, whose keynote speaker was the first Latina elected to the U.S. Senate, Catherine Cortez Masto.
Afirman su compromiso con la comunidad
View Print Article
View Digital Article
- March 24, 2017 in The Atlantic: Our Cynthia Román is quoted in a story that says the president’s executive order on immigration enforcement is having a chilling effect on safety net (SNAP, Medicaid, etc.) enrollment.
Trump’s anti-immigrant policies are scaring eligible families away from the safety net
- March 24, 2017 in MundoHispánico: Reporter Samantha Díaz tells people what to do if they face housing discrimination after attending a tenants’ rights forum at the LAA.
Mundo legal: Conozca sus derechos como inquilino
Watch Video and View Article
- March 23, 2017 in MundoHispánico: The LAA’s 2nd Annual Latina Empowerment Conference will take place on May 6 at Gwinnett’s Infinite Energy Center.
Un empujón para abrir las puertas de su negocio
- March 21, 2017 in the Atlanta Business Chronicle: LAA receives community development grant from Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo donates $1.2 million to Atlanta nonprofits
- Feb. 28, 2017: The LAA’s David Schaefer is interviewed by Univision 34 Atlanta regarding a proposed bill that would create an online registry of undocumented immigrants who have committed certain crimes.
Líderes comunitarios opinan sobre la propuesta de ley que publicaría la información de inmigrantes indocumentados en línea
- Feb. 22, 2017: The LAA’s David Schaefer talks to CNN’s Nick Valencia about how the community is fearful about deportations in the current environment.
Families fear for undocumented members
- Feb. 18, 2017: WSB-TV and News 95.5 cover a prayer vigil at the LAA to support immigrants and refugees
Dozens gather for immigration prayer vigil
- Feb. 18, 2017 on WXIA: LAA holds immigration forums in light of President Trump’s new immigration orders
Atlanta immigration forum addresses undocumented immigrants’ fears
- January and February 2017 on WSB-TV: LAA holds first annual education fair for Latino families
Latin American Association hosts education fair
- Jan. 22, 2017 on WSB-TV: La Feria de Educación Latina brings together Latino community and agencies to ensure student success.
Latin American Association offers education fair
- Jan. 19, 2017 in MundoHispánico and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: The LAA’s senior club meets every Friday at 10 a.m. Regulars come for fellowship, arts and crafts, exercise and more.
Un lugar donde el tiempo se detiene
Nuestra Comunidad: Association has gathering place for senior Latinos
- Nov. 18, 2016 on WXIA TV: Policy and advocacy director David Schaefer talks to a reporter about concerns in the Latino community following in the aftermath of the presidential election.
Election results spark concern in Brookhaven Hispanic community
- Oct. 13, 2016 in MundoHispánico: The LAA holds another Citizenship Drive to assist individuals who are eligible for naturalization.
Le ayudan a convertirse en ciudadano estadounidense
- Sept. 23, 2016 in MundoHispánico: The Spanish-language newspaper covers “An Evening of Conversation and Art,” where the winners and finalists of our “Portraying the Undocumented Experience” talked about using their works of art to talk about the struggles and dreams of immigrants.
La inmigración al lienzo
- Sept. 22, 2016 in MundoHispánico: Some 120 residents came to the LAA for a Citizenship Drive to seek legal help in the naturalization process.
Camino a la ciudadanía
- Sept. 22, 2016 in MundoHispánico: Young artist Maite Nazario, a finalist in our “Portraying the Undocumented Experience” art contest, talks about how she expresses passion and indignation through art.
Con el arte entre las venas
- Sept. 19, 2016 on WSB-TV: Maite Nazario, a senior at Chattahoochee High School in Fulton County and a finalist in our “Portraying the Undocumented Experience” art contest, is featured in WSB-TV’s People2People community news show.
Student gives immigrants a voice through art
- Sept. 15, 2016 in MundoHispánico: Photos from our Latin Fever Ball Patron Party were featured.
LAA se prepara para la gran gala boricua
- Sept. 12, 2016 in the Neighbor Newspapers: Preview of this year’s Latin Fever Ball
Latin Fever Ball to Celebrate Puerto Rican Culture
- Sept. 11, 2016 on WSB-TV: The LAA presents Citizenship Day on Sept. 17.
Latin American Association Offers Free Legal Assistance during Citizenship Day
- Sept. 9. 2016 in The New Americans Campaign blog: Feature of LAA Immigration Legal Services staffer Mariana Maneiro, who recently became a U.S. citizen
Meet Mariana, Campaign Partner and New U.S. Citizen
- September 2016 in Simply Buckhead: Preview of Latin Fever Ball
Treasure the Island: Black-Tie Bash Channels the Spirit of Puerto Rico
Latin Fever Ball Patron Party Photo Gallery
View Photo Gallery
- August 18, 2016 in MundoHispánico: Latinas share their stories of overcoming barriers in this country at an ¡Avanzando Juntas! event.
Hispanas inspiran con sus historias
- Aug. 7, 2016 in the Atlanta Business Chronicle: Preview of Latin Fever Ball
Aug. 8-12: What’s ahead this week in Atlanta business
- August 2, 2016 on Univision 34 Atlanta: Immigration attorney Fred Hartman is interviewed for a story on the expansion of the provisional unlawful presence waiver (I-601A).
Expertos hablan sobre una nueva medida migratoria para obtener la residencia
- July 2016 in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and MundoHispánico: The Latinas’ Economic Empowerment Program continues to prepare aspiring Latina entrepreneurs in Atlanta. So far, more than 300 participants have taken the “Mujeres y Negocios” business course.
Local program helps Latinas become entrepreneurs
Cosecha de Emprendedoras
- June 23, 2016 on WABE: The LAA reacts to the Supreme Court’s 4-4 non-decision on DACA expansion and DAPA.
Georgians React to Supreme Court’s Immigration Deadlock
- June 22, 2016 on WABE: The LAA reacts to the Gwinnett County sheriff’s office renewal of a controversial partnership with federal immigration officials for another three years.
Gwinnett Renews Federal Immigration Enforcement Program
View Story and Listen to Audio
- June 19, 2016 on WSB-TV: The TV station helped us promote our 34th Annual Career Expo.
Latin American Association offers Career Expo
- June 8, 2016 in El Nuevo Georgia: A story and video feature the fun activities available for Latino seniors in our Club de la Tercera Edad.
El Club de la Tercera Edad, al servicio de la comunidad
- May 26, 2016 in MundoHispánico: Our Latino Youth Leadership Alliance presented a well-attended forum titled “A Conversation on Immigrant Detention” with community leaders.
Abogados y activistas alzan su voz por inmigrantes
- April 27, 2016 in MundoHispánico: One of our immigration lawyers helps a mother and daughter who are in deportation proceedings stay one more year.
Inmigración les ofrece una tregua
- March 21, 2016 on WABE: The LAA is quoted in a story on a new bill that requires local governments to certify they’re cooperating with federal immigration officials in order to get state funding.
Ga. Legislature Passes New ‘Sanctuary Cities’ Bill
View Story and Listen to Audio
- March 2, 2016 in El Nuevo Georgia: A coalition of community organizations, including the LAA, opposes three anti-immigrant bills in the legislature.
Se oponen a leyes anti-inmigrantes
- February 25, 2016 in MundoHispánico: LAA quoted in story about English-only bill being considered in the Georgia legislature.
‘English Only’ avanza en el Senado
- Feb. 25, 2016 on Univision: SB 6 could affect domestic violence victims, says the LAA.
Propuesta SB 6 avanza en el Capitolio estatal
- Feb. 3, 2016 in El Nuevo Georgia: The LAA talks to Latino families to explain the proposed measures to solve overcrowding in DeKalb County schools.
Escuelas de DeKalb sobrepobladas y casi abandonadas
- Feb. 1, 2016 on WSB-TV: LAA staffer celebrates being able to vote after becoming U.S. citizen.
New U.S. citizen talks about being able to vote in first election
- Jan. 29, 2016 in MundoHispánico: Staffer helps count Georgia homeless
Sin techo, pero con ilusiones
View Story and Watch Video
- Jan. 22, 2016 on WABE: Atlanta’s NPR station covers a meeting where the LAA explained to parents what the DeKalb County School District redistricting options are in the predominantly Latino Cross Keys cluster.
DeKalb Schools Meeting on Overcrowding Solutions Targets Latino Parents
View Story and Listen to Audio
- Nov. 25, 2015 in NPR’s Marketplace: The LAA’s Economic Empowerment Program makes national news again, this time in the nationally syndicated business show Marketplace.
Why Latina-Owned Businesses in Georgia Are Growing
View Story and Listen to Audio
- Nov. 18, 2015 on WABE: With Georgia leading in the growth of Latina-owned firms, Martha Dalton highlights the women participating in our Latinas’ Economic Empowerment Program and the businesses they are launching.
Georgia Leads US in Growth of Latina-Owned Businesses
View Article and Listen to Audio
- Oct. 25, 2015 on WSB-TV: Jocelyn Dorsey sits down with our new executive director, Aníbal Torres, for an interview.
Latin American Association’s Aníbal Torres
- Oct. 11, 2015 on WSB-TV: People 2 People looks into our program tailored for elderly Latinos, which offers talks on nutrition and money, arts and crafts, bingo and, most importantly, fellowship.
Latin American Association’s Seniors Club
- Sept. 14, 2015 on AIBtv: This powerful video features our Latinas’ Economic Empowerment Program and captures why this program for Latinas is about much more than teaching job skills or updating a résumé.
- Sept. 8, 2015 in the National Journal: Our Latinas’ Economic Empowerment Program, where aspiring Latina entrepreneurs bond over business plans and common experiences as immigrants, gets some national coverage.
This Group of Georgia Latinas Transforms Jobs into Formal Businesses
- July 3, 2015 on Telemundo Atlanta: Jeffrey Tapia looks back at her tenure at the LAA in her last interview as executive director before retiring.
Ex directora de la Asociación Latinoamericana ofrece entrevista exclusiva
- June 23, 2015 on WABE: Our outgoing executive director, Jeffrey Tapia, talks immigration reform, access to higher education for undocumented students and other topics with Rose Scott and Denis O’Hayer in “A Closer Look.”
Outgoing Latino nonprofit head talks immigration reform, more
Listen to Audio
- June 11, 2015 in MundoHispánico: A story on the prevalence of wage theft among day laborers quotes LAA sources.
Investigación especial: Jornaleros vulnerables
- May 26, 2015 on WABE: Atlanta’s NPR station highlights our Club de la Tercera Edad, a group for Latinos 55+ that gathers in our building every Friday for companionship, conversation, showcase of talents, crafts and, yes, Zumba. This story also ran on NPR’s Latino USA on Aug. 21, 2015.
Atlanta club offers friendship, activity for Latino seniors
View WABE Article
View NPR Article
- May 25, 2015 on WSB-TV: One of the participants of our Latinas’ Economic Empowerment Program talks to WSB-TV about her plans to launch her own after-school tutoring business.
The LAA is putting a simple idea to work in a big way: empower women
- May 20, 2015 on Telemundo Atlanta: LAA immigration attorneys have played a leading role representing unaccompanied minors from Central America who are living in Georgia and might be eligible for permanent residency
Organizaciones sin fines de lucro en Georgia ayudan a menores
- May 15, 2015 in the AJC: Our new Latinas’ Economic Empowerment Program, launched with a grant from The Coca-Cola Foundation, keeps garnering media coverage.
Nuestra comunidad: Program helps Latinas become self-sufficient
- May 14, 2015 in MundoHispánico: The Latinas’ Economic Empowerment Program, launched this spring, is offering a course that teaches Latinas how to launch their own business.
Programa busca mejorar la situación económica de familias latinas, prepara mujeres para convertirse en empresarias
- April 6, 2015 on WABE: Atlanta’s NPR station reports on a recently launched LAA survey that aims to ascertain the needs of Latino immigrants
Survey aims to meet needs of Atlanta’s Latino community
- March 12, 2015 on Telemundo: Telemundo reports on the start of business classes for Latinas participating in our new economic empowerment program
Asociación Latinoamericana inicia programa para mujeres emprendedoras
- March 5, 2015 in Politico: Immigration attorney Jessica Daman is quoted in a Politico story on how unaccompanied children from Central America without lawyers or in particular states (such as Georgia) are more likely to face removal orders
Child migrants face new crisis: Uneven justice
- Feb. 20, 2015 in the AJC: Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed holds a town hall meeting focused on recent executive actions on immigration at the Latin American Association
Atlanta mayor speaks out in support of Obama’s immigration policies
- Feb. 20, 2015 on WABE: Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed holds a town hall meeting focused on recent executive actions on immigration at the Latin American Association
Atlanta mayor supports President’s immigration action, tells immigrants ‘don’t fear’
- Jan. 30, 2015 in the AJC: Latin American Association Executive Director Jeffrey Tapia announces she will retire later this year after decades working with Latino immigrants
Atlanta’s Latin American Association chief to retire
- Jan. 30, 2015 in Northside Neighbor: Latin American Association Executive Director Jeffrey Tapia announces she will retire later this year after decades working with Latino immigrants
Latin American Association’s Tapia retiring
- Jan. 14, 2015 in Emory News Center: The Rollins School of Public Health and the Goizueta Business School at Emory University honor the Latin American Association with one of its “2015 Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service Awards”
Emory honors MLK legacy with service, awards, special events
- Jan. 7, 2015 in MundoHispánico: Sarah Pedraza, SNAP case manager, warns individuals they should not be paying to have their SNAP and Medicaid applications filled out
“Inmoral” cobrar por beneficios
Media Coverage Archive